Shopping has been an obsession of women across the globe. A new shop in the neighborhood, a new shopping mall in the area, a new brand launched – women are first to know and first to go. When it comes to shopping, women are more organized (45% of women come to retail stores with shopping-lists as compared 27% of men), regularized and they show some definite trends in their buying behaviors. A woman is more likely to spend time in a retail store (29%) as compared to her male counterpart (23%).
Now, let us look at online retailing; a Jupiter Research survey says 60% of U.S. online shoppers are women! Another equally intriguing and related fact is – 92% of UK female Internet users buy products online. Undoubtedly, these figures show that there is an increasing trend amongst women to go for the online option. The question is – do women shop the same way in an online web store as they shop in a retail store?
When a woman visits a retail store she will consider a few factors such as:
• How conveniently the store is located
• Behavior of the staff
• Cleanliness (most of women are obsessed with it)
• Products put at an easy reach so that she can check the label, feel it (if required) and physically compare it with a similar product from a different manufacturer
• Overall aesthetic decoration of the store
• And most importantly – freebies and discounts available with the products
Naturally, the same woman when she would visit an online retail store will look for these factors in her sub-conscious mind. She would love to get the same feeling as she derives from the environment of her favorite retail store. She will unknowingly demand these from your online shopping store.
She would choose to stay and buy from your online web store if you can meet the following:
• Save time: You should give her the navigational freedom and easy roam around options in your store; give her instantly whatever she wants.
• Get a better selection: Your product should be the best in the designated price bracket
• Complete product details: Do not describe your products in single words; give as much detail as possible.
• Better value/offer: Your freebies should be ‘useful’ enough and the discount should be noticeable
• Logistics: You must deliver the product right at her doorsteps and nowhere else!
• Flexible return policy: Many times a woman takes a second opinion and you should respect this nature. Be flexible if she asks you to replace what she has bought.
It is the convenience of shopping from home that drives women to buy online a